Sunday, April 29, 2007

Bone, the Innocent vs. Anney, the Ignorant

After reading chapters 1-10 of “Bastard Out Of Carolina” by Dorothy Allison, I have accumulated much sympathy for Bone. She is an innocent child and from what it seems thus far, she just wants some positive attention and some love from her mother and the people around her. I think that because of the fact that she observes everything and keeps everything internalized to herself, that this causes her to be vulnerable to others. I feel that this is why she is more easily picked on at school, why she stands out from her family and tells evil stories, and even is the reasoning why Glen sexually assaults her rather than her sister Reese. Not that Bone is asking to be raped, because she certainly is not, however I feel that Reese is described to be stronger and more ladylike similar to a southern belle in these first chapters, and is therefore less vulnerable to others.


I do not feel any sympathy for Anney and almost feel ashamed of her when I am reading. I feel that her situation is a no-brainer, one in which should not take much thought or any hesitation. If my own daughter was getting beaten by my husband, I would leave him. It does not matter that she does not know or is not certain about the sexual assaults, it still is wrong of Anney to stay with Glen. She is putting her daughter’s life in danger. As a mother, she is not fulfilling her position or duty in Bone’s life. Regardless of whether or not she loves Glen, Anney should put her daughter’s happiness and life before her own, as any good mother would. As an older sister to two boys, I know that I would give up my life for either of them because they are the world to me. I do not understand how Anney can just sit back and watch someone hurt her “baby” who she claims to love so dearly. It just does not make sense to me.


Even after finding out that Bone’s collarbone was broken, along with her coccyx, Anney still does nothing to confront Glen or to leave him. She just stays at Alma’s house for a while and then returns back home after two weeks, after she feels that he has learned his lesson. When reading about this event I couldn’t help but thinking over and over again in my head: “Is she stupid?!?” For I can not imagine going back to a man like that, let alone marrying one. I also feel that Anney’s family is partially to blame for Bone’s situation. They see what is going on, yet they do not step up and say anything to Anney. Although Ruth has a talk with Anney, I feel that this was not at all productive for she just beat around the bush a lot rather than being straightforward and telling Anney that she believes that Bone is being raped by Glen. I believe that Anney is very close to her family and if they all stepped up and said something to her about the situation, then she would not be able to keep on making herself believe that they are one happy family. Instead, she would leave Glen and the problem would be fixed. I hope dearly that Anney will soon leave Glen so that Bone will have a chance to lead a somewhat normal life.

3 comments:

Kyle P. said...

I almost felt bad for Anney up until the point that Bone went to the hospital. Before that I don't know is Annney really knew the extent of the abuse. But after the trip to the hospital Anney had to know what was going on. And to think that she didnt do anything is astounding. It almost seems that she doesn't care for Bone. It may have been that she loved Glen more but I find it hard to think that a mother wouldn't help her child first.

Grace said...

I don't think that Anney didn't love Bone and I don't think that she didn't want to help I think that there were a lot of issues at play here. This story was from the perspective of Bone so we don't know what her mother was doing or going through. It seems like she was too scared and was hoping he would change, you can see this even happening today, and it's easy to say what you would do in her position but how can you know unless you are in their position. I don't know what it's like to see someone be or personally be beaten bloody, or into the hospital, so I'm not gonna say what I might or might not do.

MattyB said...

I agree with Kyle's point. You can sympathize with Anney up until the point that she knows the physical and sexual abuse her daughter is enduring at the hand's of Glen, but once she knows, all that sympathy goes right out the window. Personally, I was never that sympathtic with Anney, because as a parent you have a responsibility to know what is going on with your kids, but I can understand how she could use ignorance as a defense. When she forgives Glen and sleeps with him, I wanted to take Bone away from them myself.