Sunday, January 28, 2007

Fitzhugh: Coward or Genius?

I personally found George Fitzhugh's piece of writing to be both really frustrating, yet very well substantiated at the same time. It was so frustrating because I constantly wanted to argue with his oppinions and point of views, yet found that I could not. Every time that he made some outlandish or out of the ordinary statement, he would back it up and support it. I felt that he was constantly three steps ahead, while I was two steps behind.

Fitzhugh’s writing irritated me because I feel that he only makes some of the statements in his piece in order to cover his behind. He says things that he does not believe, nor support himself, in order to manipulate others into supporting slavery. For example, when he says that he supports slavery, yet he does not support racism, I do not thoroughly believe him. Especially after reading the background on him and the fact that he defends slavery in all of his writings, I personally feel that he made this statement in order to be politically correct. I believe that he also made this statement knowing that whites would never be enslaved in America because we were the majority. In the same way, I feel that he does not truly believe that women should be educated. The way that it came across as I was reading this passage, was that Fitzhugh simply did not want women to go to the North and become educated, for he did not women to take on or adopt those thoughts or views. I feel that Fitzhugh knew that women would become educated, just like he knew that the civil war was coming. As a result, he pretended to support women becoming educated by stating that “it is the mother who first affects opinions.” By doing so, people could not argue with his writing, and therefore start to agree with Fitzhugh’s claims about slavery helping all Americans, as well as the economy.

Although I feel that Fitzhugh was an extremely strong argumentative writer, I feel that he was too cowardly to just come out and stand up for what he believed in. He was too ashamed and tried too hard to be politically correct, to take the wrath for his own viewpoints. Instead of causing a stir with his writings, Fitzhugh just tried to please everyone and raise the moral of Southerners by submissively supporting their way of life and slavery. The only thing that stood out to me as I was reading his piece, and still does now as I am writing this, is the question that I will leave you with to answer: Is Fitzhugh a coward that just hides behind his writing or an extremely smart man to remain both neutral and politically correct?

7 comments:

Colleen said...

To answer your question, I kind of believe that he was all about being "politically correct" for the people. There is no doubt in my mind that he only wrote this piece to get people to like him and switch their view points and ideas to his own. I don't think that in any way he believes this ideas that he expresses simply because he doesn't seem true when he writes them. But who knows this Fitzhugh character could have been being genuine, but I just don't see it.

Kathryn said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog entry this week. I felt myself agreeing with you throughout the entire entry, and I liked the way you left your entry with a question. I feel this is a great question and now I want to know the answer too! Fitzhugh had very indecisive ideas and contradicted himself often throughout his writing. I feel that Fitzhugh wanted to please everyone at the same time and give extra power to the south. He felt the south was superior to the rest of the United States and made this point very clear.

MattyB said...

That was a really fun blog to read. You brought up some great points about Fitzhugh. He definitely is being the ultimate politician with this argument. Like you say, he knows whites will never, ever be enslaved in the US, so why not make the case for that so people can't label you a bigot? He sounds like a really smart guy, who was unfortunately on the wrong side of the argument. He is a super-sweet arguer though. We see in the background on him that towards the end of his life, he finally "came out" so to speak as a racist. His feelings of prejudice were there the whole time, he tried to hide them, but they came out after his cause was completely destroyed. So, to answer your question, I say a little of column A, a little of column B. I think Fitzhugh is smart enough to be afraid of coming off like a racist (and smart enough to realize that he could so knowing that whites would never be enslaved) but a coward because he hid his true feelings.

Kyle P. said...

I also had taken issue with Fitzhugh's stance on slavery. But after thinking about it I was able to understand what he was writing about. Fitzhugh supported slavery as a means of business enterprise. Fitzhugh makes the distinction that slavery should not be used as a means of racial superiority. If Blacks could not be enslaved than whites should be in order to pressure the agrarian economy, Fitzhugh claims. This leads me to believe that Fitzhugh was a supporter of the institution. By supporting slavery Fitzhugh may have tried to make himself a moral hero by rejecting the slavery of one race. But I am unsure if I can believe that?

LauraD said...

I agree with your points although I had never thought of some them myself but I agree. Like that he worte this way for a purpose and to be politically correct. I think that is very interesting and when think about it to me could be the reason he wrote the way he did. As for your question I think he is extremely smart and wants to stay eutral to make as many people happy as possible. I believe that in his own mind he knows how he feels but he knows if he tells the whole truth some people won't agree with him, which he could of done for a poltiocal move as well.

AmandaKL said...

I think you make good points. Although I also really wanted to dislike what Fitzhugh was saying, it's like I had no choice but to agree with him. He happened to have an answer for everything. In the end I felt annoyed with the north, and like oh good they don't want them teaching education in the south. That is completely rediculous though. Fitzhugh is a very powerful writer, and even if you're not totally sure if you should agree with him or if he is really telling it how he sees it, it's hard not to side with him.

E. Crowther said...

Excellent analysis and good question, Jessica! I do not have an answer. I think you have understood the reading really well and have written a very clear blog, ending with a question that we should all consider. I think your feelings of frustration are spot on and it seems that you were not alone in feeling this way. Well said.